As one year ends and another one begins, it’s natural to take time to think about what we’ve achieved so far and what we want going forward. The legal industry is full of ambitious people, all looking to progress up the corporate ladder, and here are 10 reasons why you may want to look towards your next career move in 2011.
1. Unless you’re working for a company that regularly reviews salaries and rewards hard work, the easiest way to see your annual earnings increase is by moving companies every few years.
2. If where you are based right now does not have many opportunities to progress your career, the only way to keep moving forward is by switching to a new, bigger organisation.
3. One major reason to look for your next legal job is because you’re not getting enough recognition for your hard work where you are. If you feel under appreciated, financially or otherwise, then maybe your talents should be applied elsewhere.
4. Many people find themselves stagnating in roles that aren’t quite right, so rather than falling into that trap, why not consider giving your career a kick-start in a new company.
5. While salary is a major deciding factor, so too are benefits. If your company isn’t well set-up to offer pension schemes, bonuses and other benefits, then it may be time to start looking for other opportunities.
6. While difficult economic conditions often see people staying put in their roles for extra job security, that can often back-fire if your business is struggling. By moving to a more stable, growing company, you may get greater long-term security.
7. Are you tired of making an extremely long or difficult commute each and every day? There may now be a better opportunity, close to home, than when you found your current job.
8. If you’re relocating to a different part of the country, perhaps for romantic or family reasons, then you may need to find a new legal job in a new location.
9. If you know you’re ready for the next run of the ladder, but have been overlooked for promotion, why not seek out a similar type of role in a different company?
10. There are a number of companies that are highly respected in the legal world and you may just be waiting for them to have the right opening for you. Perhaps now is the time to find out what they have.